Nord Lyon

Bakery: Nord Lyon
Address: 665 Queen St W, Toronto, ON
Style: French
Price: $$$  

This newer bakery/bistro on Queen St W came as a pleasant surprise the last time I was in the area; I do like to see places opening up as opposed to closing down.... Part bakery with French pastries and croissants, part cafe and part lunch and brunch spot with sandwiches and savoury options, it does feel a bit like one of those gourmet corporate lunch spots in basement passages downtown or at airports. I guess that's owing to the fact they have a little bit of everything.
Wanting to get something different/unique as opposed to the usual flaky pastries, I took one slice of flan ($5.75) and the fruit crumble ($4.50). Bringing them back home for photos, I was immediately taken with how unattractively they were presented. For a "French bakery" I found it rather surprising. I mean, it was nice that the portions were quite large, but at the same time, it was just one honking slab. The fruit crumble wasn't even cut straight. Both also featured this congealed red glaze that was a bit unpleasantly gooey. 
Taste was pretty good; the fruit crumble in particular had a very homemade taste which I liked. The one definite minus was that the flan had one distinctly semi-solidified stale edge which really should have been their job to slice off, not mine. Otherwise, not bad, but it lacked the refinement in taste, texture and appearance you expect from not only French, but any better bakery.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment