吉士美麵包坊 [Mimi's Cake Tour]


Bakery: 吉士美麵包坊 (Ji Shi Mei Bakery)
Address: No. 10, Lane 484, Section 2, Zhonghua Road, Wanhua District, Taipei
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 

There were several bakeries along this street and I made the decision to go to this one because it had the most people running to it. After paying, I discovered it probably had to do with the fact that it was time for the end-of-day discount. Nothing gets people to go to a bakery like that daily closing discount. At least it was a fairly common trend in Taipei - not too common, since I myself wouldn't have minded a few more after-dinner baked good discounts. ;) For the end of the day, it was pretty well-stocked with all bread varieties being accounted for. It certainly didn't feel like they were trying to get rid of leftover stock. 
I have to say that whenever I see some sort of "fruit" bun, I'm instantly suckered in, except that for whatever reason "fruit" seems to almost always involve blueberry. Unlike other blueberry buns I ended up trying, this one ($35 - 20% off = $28) used, instead of generic, gloopy blueberry jam, what looked like dried blueberries. I presume they were dried because baking dried fruit doesn't reinvigorate them; on the contrary, they lacked the flavour and juicy texture that using fresh fruit - or even that generic blueberry gloop - would have given the bun. The more eggy, streusel-like top wasn't bad, but underneath that and the dried blueberries, it was plain old, slightly dry, slightly bland sweet dough. I was definitely hoping for more excitement.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment