Winfield Bakery

Bakery: Winfield Bakery 
Address: 10017 Main St, Lake Country BC 
Website: facebook
Style: Canadian, German
Price: $$ 

Just outside Kelowna, this long-standing bakery ended up on my bakery radar when I was riding through the area on a Sunday and I vowed to return when it was open. One Saturday afternoon, I did just that. Winfield is a simple, no-frills bakery serving classic baked goods along with a nice selection of traditional German pastries, though without a doubt, the metal racks stock more bread than anything else. Still, between the shelves of doughnuts and apple fritters, poppy seed buns, cakes and squares, I had a hard time deciding -- and this was even with the empty spaces that gave the impression something had been there earlier on (whether that's true or not is unknown).
 In some ways, it is a miracle that I didn't pick up either the poppy seed bun or the larger ring. It definitely looked good and whenever I see poppy seed baked goods, you can bet I'm the first person there. ;D I'll have to try it next time...
But I really could not resist the plum cake ($6.75). After all, plum cakes aren't the most common sight and it was technically plum season at the time of purchase, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity, not to mention that I really do love plum cakes, if I can get a hold of them. Then, this one looked beautiful and delicious with tons of crumble and chunks of plums on top; cutting myself a slice, it definitely tasted delicious as well. Tons of fruit, but without it making the moist dough soggy, and that crumble.... Mmm!  An Okanagan highlight!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment