The Deli

Bakery: The Deli
Address: 203 Hanson St, Whitehorse YT
Website: facebook
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

The Deli may seem like an unlikely choice for a Cake Tour. After all, stepping into the store, you're greeted with scents of cabbage and sausage; yup, you've entered the European Hot Lunch zone. :D The headquarters of Yukon Meat and Sausage, I was actually here, because I was thinking of bringing back some sausage and/or jerky with me, but with the sausages being the raw, not smoked kind and the jerky just not managing to pull me in, I went away instead with a sweet. I love how these things work out!

Nonetheless, The Deli is well, a deli. (Thanks, genius) They serve hot food, sell sausages, prepared foods, and cold cuts behind the counter while the walls feature imported products from mainly the Netherlands and Germany. Because the world can never have enough salted licorice and sauerkraut. Still, in one fridge in the corner, they have a selection of about ten or so squares, sliced and packed in saran wrap. All are the same price at $2.50 and feature the classics. Right when you pay, there's also a small display featuring a limited selection of baked goods. As I recall, it was just muffins and... was it some sort of pound cake? Not much, nothing elaborate, but still something unique to add to my roster of Yukon reviews. :)
I had the berry macaroon square. This was pretty good with chewy shredded coconut on top, a nice chunky dough bottom, similar to a date square and a good amount of berry filling in the middle; good consistency, thick and fruity. All in all, quite tasty, though maybe not the freshest. Still, it's not a bakery, so you can't expect too, too much.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment