Klondike Rib & Salmon

Bakery: Klondike Rib & Salmon 
Address: 2116 2nd Ave, Whitehorse YT
Website: https://www.klondikerib.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

It was my last day in the Yukon and I wanted to treat myself to something special. This came in the form of dessert at Klondike & Salmon. Why yes, the name itself doesn't make this sound like a dessert place and I felt very weird and silly going there just for dessert, but I heard that one of the "must tries" when it came to local treats was this popular seasonal restaurant's "famous" Sourdough Bread Pudding ($9.95) -- though I'm wondering just how famous Klondike Rib & Salmon is without their own marketing. In addition to this, they also sell their bonanza brownie and bumbleberry pie. All made by them, fresh daily... or so they say.
Then again, I didn't need for them to tell me it's a "must-have exquisite delight" (quoted from the menu); all I had to do was read that it was a bread pudding -- add in the sourdough element for that authentic Klondike experience, of course -- with vanilla ice cream and Yukon Jack caramel sauce. Oh yeah, I was so ready for it!
 A gigantic piece on a somewhat creepy fish plate was placed before me. The picture doesn't do the size justice; it was a good thing I didn't eat anything for lunch that day! :D It's probably made for sharing, but why would I do that? Still, a big slab of bread pudding, chunky and chewy loaded with raisins and shredded coconut, then topped with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream that was drizzled with a runny caramel sauce that poured down the sides and got soaked up by the dough itself. I'm not sure if I could distinguish the Yukon Jack in there, but it was good. Very good. Even the shredded coconut was a nice touch; the one minus I could think of was there were far too many raisins, especially for those who don't like raisins. And yet, despite the raisins and the size, in the end the plate was licked clean and I was a very happy girl. ^-^

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment