Ida's Bakery

Bakery: Ida's Bakery 
Address: 1980 Vernon St, Lumby BC
Website: n/a
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

I'd heard of Ida's Bakery prior to visiting it; actually, someone recommended it to me, saying that "there's a really good bakery in Lumby". Of course, I didn't know the context behind the comment: were the baked goods particularly delicious? Or was it in reference to their sandwiches or breads? (Since then it wouldn't interest me all that much, though a bakery is a bakery needing to be reviewed~!) Some very quick online research -- basically just searching where it was -- revealed that Ida's apparently has amazing apple fritters. With that discovery made, I was so ready for this one! :D

That being said, I went to Ida's on a Saturday afternoon and was a bit devastated to find the bakery quite empty. First of all, there were no apple fritters in sight, not even a label. The area with sweets was either cleaned out or hadn't been stocked very generously that day. A few squares, a pack of day-old old fashioned doughnuts on the table and the choice between the last two blueberry turnovers and some sort of eclair.
The blueberry turnover ($2.00 each) it was. Now, it looked really good, but my one inhibition was that I'm actually not the biggest fan of blueberries. They're definitely not my preferred berry and I'm not a fan of the blueberry jelly they put inside jelly doughnuts, so I felt a little like I didn't end up with something I really wanted. This, however, went all out the door once I took my first bite. Huge turnover with delicious glaze, yummy blueberry filling and a soft, moist doughnut dough. Yummy!! Turns out Ida's really is a good bakery (well, to be fair, I would give it 3.5 stars for the baked good, but 3 for the bakery given they didn't have anything else...)!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment