Kaffislippur [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Kaffislippur 
Address: Mýrargata 12, Reykjavik
Website: http://www.kaffislippur.is/
Style: Icelandic
Price: $$$ 

I want to wholeheartedly thank the Cake Fairy for this Cake Tour. :) In all honesty, I've walked by this cafe and self-proclaimed "deli" a few times over the years, though I really only noticed its existence only after watching a few movies at the Reykjavik International Film Festival (they seemed to be a sponsor). In both cases, it never really dawned on me that they would have a tasty array of baked treats! Whether they bake everything themselves or not is a question I can't find a definitive answer to, but given the fact that I have never seen anything in other similar businesses (which is always the most glaring of signs), I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. With this place being a little on the pricey side, they better. o__o
Kaffislippur is the laid-back, airy yet cozy cafe attached to the Icelandair Marina Hotel and is accessed from the little street facing the harbour. Nice views, nice vibe; stepping into it, you find most goodies presented on plates and glass cake dishes opposite the cash. Some are pre-packaged in little baggies at the cash. Baked goods are labelled and priced; some have a list of ingredients as well. As mentioned above, it is a little pricey, with many items easily twice the price of a traditional bakery. That being said, the treats are more... refined, elegant, especially in the case of the cinnamon bun.
 Let's begin: there, I had a cinnamon bun. It was actually my breakfast coming directly from the airport, so my pot of tea was 550kr (wish they gave more milk though...), but I don't remember how much the bun was. Slightly flaky dough with a nice bit of crunch on the outside. Inside, delicately spiced, not too sweet with a thin layer of icing poured over top. Oh boy... this was one of the best cinnamon buns I've had in Iceland!
The peanut square (650kr; unsure of the actual name) was labelled as vegan and gluten-free; it may have been raw too, but it's not stated. It's almost healthy! It was very nutty, but I think more texture/chunkiness and some other flavours would have helped. The components were in there, but with the dark chocolate on top, it tasted too much like peanut butter and chocolate... and I don't really like peanut butter. Okay, I don't like peanut butter; almond, oh yes, hazelnut, sure!
Last but not least, the Sarah Bernhardt (450kr). I've heard of these; I've seen them (mostly in Swedish bakeries) but I had never tried one. Why it took me so long... it beats me. This was the highlight. Chewy flour-less cookie bottom with a dense cream covered in chocolate. Whoever invented this was a genius. Whoa. Just whoa.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment