Passion Reykjavík [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Passion Reykjavík
Address: Álfheimar 6, Reykjavík
Website: facebook 
Style: Icelandic
Price: $-$$ 

With the focus in 2017 being getting as many Canadian bakeries reviewed as possible, I put the other pending reviews I had on pause. This included bakeries I did in my last two trips to Iceland. Passion is, in fact, the last bakery I had to do in Reykjavik proper; I'm missing a few in the suburbs (namely Kópavogur) but Reykjavik is now done. Passion is right in the neighbourhood and, as such, a bit off the beaten path, especially if you're walking it. Still, it's one of the most old-world bakeries in the city with dark wood accents, chandeliers, and baked goods presented behind glass partitions on granite counters. It's so pretty -- don't let the dated plaza detract you. ^^

Coming at fifteen minutes before closing is usually a disaster, but I was surprised at how much there was still there; I'd call it fully stocked with lovely pastries, baked goods and cakes, with varieties I've never seen before. What did they do with all that stuff? O.O Anyways, unlike many bakeries, nothing was labelled or priced and inquiring what one item contained got me a not very polite scowl and a flippant answer; suffice to say, the service was far from stellar (and got me questioning why I even bother practising my Icelandic...).
 Still, at 290kr for a danish, it's one of the cheapest pastries in Reykjavik! I can't remember the last time I paid under 300kr for this sort of treat.... Biting into it, I found it having everything I love in a danish: flaky, multi-layered dough with some weight to it filled with raspberry jam and sprinkled with slivered almonds. Then, drizzled on top with vanilla and caramel icing. This really was one of the highlights from an otherwise lacklustre trip; can't believe I didn't stumble upon this gem years before!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment