Ullas Café [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Ullas Café
Address: Kyrktorget 1, Luleå
Website:  n/a 
Style: Swedish 
Price: $-$$ 

After writing up two not so stellar reviews from Stockholm, coming to Ullas Cafe is as much a breath of fresh air as stepping out of the train and taking in the cool, crisp air of Norbotten/Swedish Lapland. *-*

Ullas Cafe is located in the heart of (no, really) Gammelstad, the old church town and UNESCO world heritage site on the outskirts of Luleå and, from the outside, certainly doesn't look like so much. There isn't a lot of seating, neither inside nor outside, you get your own coffee and utensils, and, despite the Gammelstad website touting they have a large selection of pastries, they really don't. Just a few items that, further accentuated by the 'home kitchen' look to the place, could almost be called home-baked. I'd actually already done a Cake Tour in town, so I didn't need to come here. But I couldn't help it... and I was starving. :P I mean, really, coffee cakes aren't the most common fare at a konditori and I just love them, so this was my chance!

I was actually going to say that this was one of many instances where my efforts to speak Swedish failed, in that I didn't understand the answer, but my ears didn't desert me this time around, since Google is giving me the same thing I got!! Therefore, I picked out for myself a slice of drottningkaka (22kr), a deliciously soft, spongy coffee cake with berries. When asked if I wanted vanilla sauce (yes, this I understood ;D), I replied with an affirmative and received in turn a gigantic dollop of thick, perfect sauce that would be enough for three pieces of cake, not one. ^^ Man, this was sooo good! There was nothing fancy or "skilled" about it, but who cares? It was definitely a highlight from my Cake Tour in Sweden. Actually, Ullas was my first taste of the Cake Tour in Lapland, and it was simply a good sign of things to come -- this leg of the journey came out a huge, very tasty success!

Rating: ****   

No comments:

Post a Comment