Andersen Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Andersen Bakery
Address: Bernstorffsgade 5, Copenhagen
Website: http://www.andersen-danmark.dk/
Style: Danish
Price: $$-$$$

And now, back to the mainland~! ;) Yes, I returned to Copenhagen for a few days before heading north to Stockholm and cinnamon buns (^^) and made a second attempt for the city to wow me with its baked goods. Alas, it didn't seem to work out so well for the Danish capital (especially not compared to the stellar bakeries on Møn), with Andersen actually being the most disappointing of the bunch.

Andersen Bakery (as the English name may indicate) seems to pride itself more on the fact that they were the ones to bring Danish baking to Japan and that they have branches in the U.S. than the actual stuff they sell. Their selection is pretty amazing and showed no signs of depletion on a late Sunday afternoon, which I thought a little odd when their competitors were closed by that time. That was the reason I showed up, at any rate. Nevertheless, at 15kr take-away price (more for eating there) for a majority of the individual goods, the price is alright, although I'm not sure if it's necessarily good value, since these are given the appellation of "mini" and are indeed smaller than what you might find elsewhere, though many come in a variety of fillings.

Sensing that this seems to be their signature item, I settled on the little heart-shaped danish (15kr) with black currant filling. The traditional cream and raspberry were also an option, as well as strawberry rhubarb. They're cute, I'll give them credit for that. Who doesn't love a heart-shaped baked good? ^.^ As I've found out, however, it's all in the dough and it was here that I was not overly pleased with Andersen. Put simply, this reminded me of the North American take on the danish found in supermarkets and not too great bakeries everywhere: bready, soggy dough with a too sweet, syrupy gloop lacking any real fruit. It wasn't even that I waited too long with mine, since the free samples on site tasted the same -- maybe they simply baked them too long ago and they had lost all their crunch or there was no crunch to begin with? Ha ha sorry guys, but I've had better in Japanese bakeries! ;)

Still, I can't say it tasted bad, but a place that exports Danish baked goods abroad should know (and do) better. :/

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment