Sundbergs Konditori [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Sundbergs Konditori 
Address: Järntorget 83, Stockholm
Website: n/a 
Style: Swedish
Price: $-$$ 

Sundbergs Konditori, in the very heart of Gamla Stan, is -- or so they claim at any rate -- Stockholm's oldest konditori (confectionary/pastry shop). With that kind of selling point, you know who was there to taste a piece of history. ;)

The decor and cafe itself is absolutely lovely, with classic interior complete with mirrors, dark wood panels and chandeliers, although a lot of the tables were in a bit of a mess with stacks of cups and plates, as though it's pretty much expected you should sit outside (the workers who ignore you and keep gossiping while you're waiting to order didn't provide a very pleasant atmosphere either). The selection of cakes and goodies wasn't really as impressive as I would have imagined with such a claim to fame. One or two buns and a few slices of cake. As I would come to discover, a lot of places in Stockholm didn't have any prices (or names) listed and this really irked me. There was a rather unclear sheet printed out right next to the cash which hardly helped. Especially in a place as touristy as Gamla Stan, this lack of prices sets the "scam" alarm off and I was too scared to get anything above a sweet bun (especially as Sweden is *expensive*), but surprisingly enough, Sundbergs was actually -- by far -- the cheapest place I encountered on my tour of Stockholm. Mostly due to the fact that they actually had takeaway prices, which is great! Though Sundbergs was my first stop in Stockholm and I then got this impression that I'll be able to get baked goods everywhere for under 20kr. Hah... :/

Sadly, this was also one of the most disappointing trips in Sweden as a whole. Blame me for picking something stupid, perhaps, but I thought I'd get something a little more unique than the usual cinnamon bun. So I got a pistachio bun (15kr; takeaway) instead. With the too-green-to-be-just-pistachio filling, slivered almonds, and not too flavourful dough, this reminded me of the "European" buns you'll find at a lot of Chinese bakeries. I mean, for Chinese baking, they're alright and at $1 or less, perhaps, this would be amazing, but the oldest Swedish konditori? And no butter! *shakes head* I was expecting a lot more from such a place... especially when you have the amazingness of Grillska Huset just a few narrow streets away.

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment