Sct. Peders Bageri [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Sct. Peders Bageri 
Address: Skt Peders Stræde 29, Copenhagen 
Website: n/a
Style: Danish
Price: $$ 

This particular Cake Tour came about purely by accident. I had been planning a trip to La Glace and, seeing a line of people waiting, literally, down the street, I returned to this little place which I remembered having seen while taking a quick walk through Copenhagen's Latin Quarter. Unknown to me at that time was this small hole in the wall with its neoclassical interior and window of goodies just happened to be the city's oldest bakery! Well, well, wasn't that exciting? (for me) :) The bakery was founded in 1652 (!) and, as the paper bag housing your goodies explains, hasn't changed all that much since then. Wow. That's really fascinating!! Again, not everyone might agree, but I couldn't help but get the idea that I'd come across a gem!

As the bakery itself is so small, the selection isn't so great and a lot of the standard pastries I've come to expect weren't there. There was, however, the delicious scent of cinnamon wafting out the door and piles of fairly large cinnamon buns, looking absolutely delicious, stacked next to the cash. Mmm... how could I resist, even when, to be fair, I haven't been too impressed with the Danish take at other bakeries? One small thing really irked me, since this was the first time I had come across this during my travels: no prices. Nothing was priced nor was it labelled, so I couldn't just order by reading from (and hide the fact that I didn't know Danish) and I didn't know what anything cost. Very frustrating and a little disappointed!

Still, I did end up with that delicious cinnamon bun (15kr) and it did actually prove to be quite delicious. Again, I can't say I'm too fond of the Danish-style dough, which is dense and reminds me a little of scones or any sort of soda-based recipes, but this was really good, with the dough being slightly softer and filled with plenty of cinnamon filling. Mmmm.. that was really tasty; actually, this was my tastiest Tour in Copenhagen, though the icing was really brittle and the majority just ended up at the bottom of the bag in pieces. So, that wasn't that good. :/

Nonetheless: good stuff at last! As a matter of fact, I could even say 'best for last', since this was my last bakery in Copenhagen as well. ^-^

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment