Börje Olsson Konditorier [Mimi's World Tour]








Bakery: Börje Olsson Konditorier 
Address: Storgatan 36, Luleå
Website: n/a 
Style: Swedish 
Price: $$ 

Bakery #2 in Luleå was a wee bit of a splurge and total indulgence for me (which I pecked at for three-four days afterwards, simply because it was so big and rich), but spotting this for the first time, I absolutely had to try it. 

Börje Olsson is the only listed confectionary in Luleå's city centre; I say 'listed' because the bus to Gammelstad rode past another cafe, though it looked more like a place for coffee than sweets. Alas, my bus was 80 minutes delayed and I was unable to eat anything, let alone try another place. :/ So this was my only opportunity and what an opportunity it was! Not overly fancy, but with plenty of goodies lined up, this is a fairly well priced confectionery and cafe with most Swedish staples, although lacking variety in baked goods. Unlike other bakeries, everything was labelled and priced -- though I don't know why they took away the trays of danishes onto the back counters so you can't even see what's there.

However, this was the only time where I was actually stopped by something entirely different. A while back, I took out a new Scandinavian cookbook from the library and they had a recipe for this. I could have sworn it said this was Danish, not Swedish, but I could be wrong. At any rate, the explanation claimed that every bakery in (Denmark... could be Sweden) had this treat available -- this was the first and only time seeing it in either country: potatis bakelse (30kr). Quite literally "baked potato", this is made to resemble a potato... on the outside at least. ;) On the inside, you have the absolutely delicious though doubtless fattening combination of liquor-soaked sponge cake and whipped cream, reminiscent of prinsesskaka, another whipped cream masterpiece. ;DDD Mmmm... this is one of these things that you have/should have once in a year or so, but it was worth it. What a find (and another instance of Stockholm so not delivering)! 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment