La Brioche Lyonnaise [RIP]

Bakery: La Brioche Lyonnaise 
Address: 1593 rue St Denis, Montreal 
Website: http://www.labriochelyonnaise.com/
Style: French 
Price: $$ 

I was in Montreal a few weeks ago for their film festival (as always) and for two of those, that involved heading over to the Latin Quarter. Tweaking Google maps to show you bakery locations, this place pops up as one of the only in the area. In an old tour guide of Montreal my brother found, La Brioche Lyonnaise is listed as one of the quintessential patisseries to try while in Montreal, and yet I really can't ever find that much here. I popped in last year and left just as quickly -- on an afternoon, there was nothing sweet except a few large (as in for six people) fruit tarts. This time around, it was a little sooner and only slightly better (with a few slices of something chocolate-y and maybe some macarons, maybe, if I remember correctly). Not wanting to walk around with their few pastry options, I took the last raisin bun and there were a handful of croissants left. Despite the tour guide (and their own sign), I don't see them as a patisserie, but just a cafe for crepes, quiches, and sandwiches. Breakfast and lunch and nothing else was my impression of it. :/


Nonetheless, I did finally buy something! As mentioned above, it was the last raisin bun (around $2.50). I myself don't exactly like raisins, so I wasn't too eager to try this, although the raisins weren't that overpowering (as in, there weren't that many -- if you like raisins, this might be a minus) Great buttery dough though! Ha ha I didn't have nearly enough good, buttery buns in Sweden, so this was a nice thing, although I really can't expect any less from French viennoiseries. ;P A little too much glaze, in my opinion, but not bad. Maybe next film festival, I won't be in such a rush, sit down and try a cake or something, though I just wish there was more selection in this as well! I'm not here for the quiche! ;)

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment