Nyfiket [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Nyfiket
Address: Lasarettsgatan 19, Gällivare
Website: http://www.nyfiket.nu/1.html
Style: Swedish
Price:

Having a little less than an hour between my bus from Jokkmokk and my train to Stockholm, I went hunting through the dug up (it seems like the whole thing was under construction) town of Gällivare for any sort of bakery. I walked along what looked like the main street as well as the streets branching away from the train station (also closed and under construction) and found nothing at all. In the end, I was forced to walk back where the bus had gone to the cafe I remembered seeing. That was Nyfiket.

Coming here in the afternoon, I wasn't necessarily surprised to find it pretty much empty, even though the people behind me were, so I was happy that there were still some sweets available. Saran-wrapped and kept in the refrigerated case and with a typical lack of pricing, that's true, but they still had a few choices.

Having this gut feeling that I would not buy any other sort of dinner for the train (I was hoping to find some decent takeaway -- Sibylla so doesn't count :/ -- before my departure, but that never happened), I did a rare thing and bought two treats (though waaah, it would have been so better to have noticed the bakery in Jokkmokk *before* seeing it through the window of the bus ;__;): a vanilla "twist" and a cinnamon bun. At 29kr for both, these guys were decently priced.

The in-train treat was the vanilla knot which, despite the refrigeration, was in fact nice and fresh with a generous sugary crust on top, hints of cardamom in the soft dough, and a delicious, but not overwhelming gloopy filling. This certainly beat the train treat on the way there!

My breakfast (eaten once arrived at my place in Stockholm) came in the form of a cinnamon bun, likewise generously sugared. It had a more dense dough and was different in texture than the vanilla bun, but it was still tasty, despite it being 15 hours old. Actually, I kept this in my hand luggage in the train compartment and the scent of cinnamon just pervaded everything in my bag. Opening it up was a very pleasant experience. ;)

Therefore, while the town itself didn't wow me all that much (I was actually contemplating spending the night here versus Jokkmokk because the bus went here direct from Pajala, so I'm really happy I didn't do that :P), Nyfiket was worthy of a visit and just proved yet again: when in need of baked goods in Sweden, avoid Stockholm and just go north. The same can be said in general, but let's just stick to the baked goods here.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment