Swiss Cafe Konditoria [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Swiss Cafe Konditoria 
Address: Puthaanrannantie 5, Muonio 
Website: http://www.swisscafemuonio.com/
Style: Swiss 
Price: $$

This is going to look *amazing* on my Google map, this little spot a hundred or so kilometres north of the Arctic Circle. And it's going to look amazing on the Cake Tour as well: the first Swiss bakery, the northernmost bakery in well, everywhere, one of the only 'ethnic' bakeries on my European Cake Tour and the only bakery in the town of Muonio, Finland! I am so grateful to my hosts for bringing me here; it's like they knew how impressive this would look on my little site -- thank you! *-*

Anyhow~ the name says it all. Swiss is indeed a newer Swiss (owned and operated, including the baker) cafe in Muonio, complete with faux Alpen accents, silly cows with Swiss flag motifs, and a wonderful array of only authentic cakes, pastries and squares (I believe there was just one Finnish sweet bun available). Having never been to anything Swiss before, I was a little... disheartened to find I recognized pretty much everything as you'll find similar, if not identical items at German and Austrian bakeries and confectioneries, but at the same time, I should have expected it: Sacher tortes, linzer squares, and a variety of cream cakes that are just... typically German. :P

Saying this, I have to admit I'm not too big a fan of German cakes, so I didn't want anything too, too rich (though I was at first contemplating the Sacher torte to compare it to the original; it just didn't look chocolate-y enough) and finally settled on the 'orange curd cake' (all cakes and goodies were between 3- to 4€ each; for four pieces of cake and three cups of tea, we paid 22€). In addition to this, we got a cream/fruit cake, a walnut square... and something else (I forgot :P), all with rave reviews. As for mine, it was pretty good. The curd layer was light and fluffy with a nice, mouse-like texture and a nice orange taste, which could taste overly sweet and artificial elsewhere. Nice sponge cake bottom. And you get a little chocolate macaron-like cookie with your tea too! That was a nice touch. :P

This was definitely a noteworthy -- and delicious -- introduction to Swiss baking, though, to be quite honest, it couldn't beat Maria's *amazing* cloudberry cake (future "At Home With..." post). Holy smokes, my mouth is still watering at the memory of that thing. *-*

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment