奇美烘培坊 [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: 奇美烘培坊 (Qimei Bakery)
Address: No. 84, Jianzhong Street, Xinzhuang District, New Taipei 
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $-$$ 
 
My final bakery stop for New Taipei, Qimei was certainly the most old-school of the bunch: a little on the dingy side, it looks like nothing here has changed much since it opened its doors many a year ago. The selection of classic sweet and savoury bread, buns and cakes is fairly impressive and well-priced, though there's no real specialty or focus. 
It being strawberry season, I'd been going from one bakery to another, wondering if I should splurge on some of their strawberry baked goods. They'd been tempting me all day long and I finally went with this cheap compromise ($30). From above, it looked like a tart. When I took it out of the bag, I realized it wasn't a tart at all; it was pretty much a pineapple bun cut in half with some of bread scooped out of the middle and filled with custard. Soft white bread with a little crunch on the bottom and a lot of thick, not very good pudding was what I was left with. Given the delicacy of the bun, there was way too much of the custard and it simply didn't match. The strawberries had a thick layer of clear glaze on then that seeped down and over the top of the bun, creating a firm, jello-like film. What a dud!

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment