Blé [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Blé (布里王子の麵包廚房)
Address: No. 3, Beiping West Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $$

Unfortunately, with this review, my massive slew of bakeries from my Taiwan tour has come to an end. This 'unfortunately' has a dual meaning. Both in the sense that my Taiwanese reviews are finally over and that they had to end with Ble. In a sense, they should have ended with the previous post, but I was surprised by this bakery in the vast underground area in and around Taipei main station and I couldn't resist adding just one more bakery to the repertoire. The "bakeries" in the train station almost exclusively sell pre-packed gift boxes of pineapple cake or the latest dessert trend, so I was pleasantly impressed by the fact that this one was a standard bakery selling various sweet and savoury bread. That being said, this is a smaller chain with a few locations throughout Taipei. Despite that, the baked goods, including mostly single-serve, grab-and-go buns, had a decidedly generic, commercial look to them.
I took two items. One, not pictured, was the cheese and chive bun, which I had had elsewhere and gave me a craving for it here. The cheese was so wet and slimy, while the onion (and garlic) was so overpowering that I had this unpleasant taste in my mouth for the rest of the day. But this is a sweet tour: I had the taro? bun ($38). Rather, I didn't know it was taro until I bit into it and found it stuffed with a thick purple paste. x__x Anything would have worked better than taro... I ended up scraping a lot of it out, but even then I was left with a bun that was soft and foamy; even the topping, which should have added some texture, was soft and unnoticeable. Honestly, one of the biggest duds of the whole trip! This was followed up by me cracking my laptop screen... such was the conclusion of my time in Taiwan. I probably should have never returned to Canada - that was my sign. :( 

Rating: *1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment