揚名手工烘培 [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: 揚名手工烘培 (Yang Ming Bakery) 
Address: No. 24, Jianzhong Street, Xinzhuang District, New Taipei
Website: facebook
Style: Chinese 
Price:  $$ 

My adventures in New Taipei continued with this bright, airy bakery located slightly away from the main retail areas on a side street and one which I happened to come across purely by chance. Of course, if you come across a bakery by accident, you have to go to it! Judging by the masses of online photos of their shortcake-like layered cream cakes (and anything cream-stuffed for that matter), I'm presuming that this is their specialty, but I can't say I got that impression when there. Essentially, they came across as an average, albeit independent bakery with all the bread varieties and a some cake that you'd expect. The one thing that set this bakery apart from the others for me was going up to the cash and having the worker announce loudly and happily, almost proudly "one doughnut" in English. Jeez, that was unnecessary... the whole world didn't need to know what I was buying! I guess it isn't exactly the kind of place that sees foreigners, but still... 
And yes, I did get the doughnut. The crispy milk doughnut, to exact ($35). This would prove to be my final crispy milk doughnut - and not only because my trip was shortly coming to an end. It was here that I truly came to the realization that crispy milk doughnuts are actually not very good. When served hot and fresh, you get that extra crunchy and dense, yet soft inside. I've never been a fan of that powdery topping, but when they sit on the shelf (as they do in a bakery), that powdery topping clings to the outside and creates this sticky, pasty layer - especially when there was way too much powder on this one. Once I scraped a lot of it off, it was much better, but I really should have gone with something else. Maybe their cream puffs would have been a bigger hit?

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment