Ambrosia Corner Bakery

Bakery: Ambrosia Corner Bakery
Address: 324 Frederick St, Kitchener ON
Style: Canadian
Price: $$-$$$
 
Honestly, as much as I hate nitpicking about aspects that don't involve the baked goods themselves, some bakeries really do deserve minus points for their hours. This has been on my list for so long, but they're always closed. They're closed 4 days a week! They close at 1 on Saturdays and 3 the other two days. Which begs the question: do you want b
usiness or not? It's always frustrating and mind-boggling for me, because there are bakeries who are trying their best to keep their business afloat and then there the ones where you as a customer have to bend over backwards to buy something from. It definitely didn't put me in the best mindset. 
What else didn't? The fact that I was running like mad to make it before closing to try their kouign amann - yes, they make kouign amann and any bakery that does will have it tested by me - and they were gone. Actually, a lot was gone and I had to make do with whatever was left behind. 
For a place that does make kouign amann (whatever date and time that might be), I was surprised that the other baked goods were a little more hodgepodge and didn't include as many pastries as I would have expected; instead, it was very scone- and square-heavy. The sticky and monkey buns, for instance, were something that you could find at a classic Canadian/English bakery. I preferred the ooey and gooey one, which I presume was the sticky bun. 
However, the best of the three was the blueberry brioche. At first, I regretted taking it because as I was plating it looked very dry and I was worried it would just be a ball of plain, dry dough, but it was very tasty and not as dry as it looked. Great texture, a little fruit. Not bad, but it's not worth speeding down the highway just to make it here in time! 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment