White Sails Bakery

 Bakery: White Sails Bakery
Address: 12930 Peggys Cove Rd, Tantallon NS
Website: http://www.whitesailsbakery.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$$ 

Hey, guess what? It's my 700th bakery! That's right, it took a little more than a year to go from 500 to 700. The Cake Tour is picking up speed... and so wish I had the crowds to celebrate. Oh well, I guess that means there's more cake for me. :P

With its multicoloured exterior and giant signs of its accolades, this seasonal bakery (open May-October) looks like a gimmick from miles away; however, this bakery and hot lunch spot/Montreal-style deli does make their own baked goods and sweet treats. Yes, they are a little on the pricey side, but what else could you expect from something on the way to Peggys Cove?
Nevertheless, from their selection of cookies, scones, and pies and tarts, there were two items that really stood out: the sugar pie ($4-something) and the salted caramel cream puff ($3-something). The salted caramel cream puff was pretty good; it couldn't come close to cream puff champion, the matcha variety, but it had good texture and flavour, though it was incredibly messy. As pretty as it looks, I'm not sure how you're supposed to tackle this one...
 For the sugar pie, this was actually my first time trying this Canadian classic... or was it? I think it was -- unbelievable! Maybe I shouldn't even be admitting that. Defending myself a bit, these aren't very common and even I, 700 bakeries later, can recall seeing them barely a handful of times, even when travelling through Quebec. A bit sad, really. This cousin to the butter tart had a thinner more delicate shell and was filling with a sweet, slightly grainy filling. To be quite honest with you, I wasn't a fan the first few bite, but it got better and better as I ate it. In the end, it was pretty good.

So I guess it wasn't entirely a gimmick and they can now stick a giant, homemade poster outside: "Recommended by Mimi's Cake Tour". ;) 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment