Tony's Bistro & Patisserie

Bakery: Tony's Bistro & Patisserie 
Address: 137 McLaughlin Rd, Moncton NB 
Website: http://www.tonysbistro.ca/
Style: French, European
Price: $$-$$$ 

The last time I was in Moncton, this place was recommended to me by my Airbnb hosts and I can't understand why I didn't manage to go. It was one of those late arrival and early departure kind of trips, but surely I could not have left before 8a.m. (hah, no chance!) to have missed it opening. What was wrong with me!? Thankfully, it was the first place I remembered this time around and Tony's has finally been done; it's a good thing it has!
Tony's is partly a patisserie, partly a light restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. In previous cases, the term "bistro" attached to any of my reviewed bakeries has ended up not being that great, but Tony's is  an exception to almost every rule. Even the statement on their website, "one of the finest bakery and pastry showcases in Atlantic Canada", would usually send off warning signs. Those are big words and big words need proof. And the proof is in the (French) pudding! :D
There was a bit of deliberation in store: try the cake slice for around $6 or keep it simple and take the chausson aux pommes ($2.75). Naturally, everyone knows that a good way to gauge a French bakery is by how buttery and flaky their dough is and Tony's was phenomenal. I can't remember the last time I had such a delicious chausson! Look at that golden top and middle bursting with apples. It's not blackened or totally empty inside like I've had in other places. It was... perfect. One of the very few 4-star bakeries in the Maritimes.

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment