Ratio Coffee & Pastry

Bakery: Ratio Coffee & Pastry 
Address: 3101 29th St, Vernon BC
Website: https://ratiocoffee.ca/
Style: Canadian, North American 
Price: $$$ 

Located inside Vernon's old train station is the bright, spacious Ratio Coffee, a coffee shop selling its own pastries and baked goods. Given their small counter area and limited selection, different baked goods are available depending on what day of the week it is: Wednesday is cake day, Friday belongs to the mighty doughnut. Of course, there are a few, very few items that seem to be sold in addition to the daily special. When I was there, there were a few macarons and some cookies.

Coming there on a Saturday -- sticky bun day -- I was, however, a little confused to find a whole display case of day-old doughnuts and none of the aforementioned sticky buns. Did they sell out? Where were they? These doughnuts were being sold at half-off and I was very unsure. After all, I'm the first to tell you to never buy day-old doughnuts. It just won't be the same. But they looked so pretty and it was either that or not getting anything -- I certainly wasn't in the mood for macarons and I found the lack of prices disconcerting, especially when I knew they'd be up there.
 After countless moments of deliberation, I caved. Yes, I went for the doughnut. The "spring bouquet" doughnut, to be exact ($1.95; "50% off" $3.95). Definitely points for presentation with a lovely bouquet of fruit erupting from the centre, though the cherry went a little haywire and tried to make an escape, and sitting on a bed of tangy lemon icing. The dough was light and airy, pretty good, though as always, I would have liked for there to be something unique with the dough as well. Naturally, it must have been a lot better fresh, but it wasn't bad. I just think that it wasn't *that* good for it to be worth the full price. $4 for a doughnut is a little much, in my opinion....

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment