Tripke Bakery

Bakery: Tripke Bakery 
Address: 538 Yates Rd, Kelowna BC
Website: http://tripkebakery.com/
Style: German, European 
Price: $$

While spending a few weeks in Kelowna, I managed to do some fairly extensive bakery research and sampling (all for the sake of the Cake Tour, of course), and came to the conclusion that Tripke Bakery is the best bakery in Kelowna. Yes, I start with that. Tripke was actually the first bakery I did and so it really turned into no one managing to beat it. Some came close, but this long-running family business still came out on top. For one, it's their ample selection of classic German and European cakes and baked goods. Then it's the fact those baked goods are delicious... and, well yes, they make fantastic poppy seed buns. :P
 Of course you know what I was taking. As a matter of fact, I did the fairly rare thing of just looking at the baked good, the price, and went ahead and ordered two before even trying it. Two poppy seed buns ($1.70/each; this is one in the photo!) it was. Big buns with a nice fluffy dough that freezes well and lots of delicious German-style poppy seed mass: a little grainy, but too much -- just the kind I like. Top that off with plenty of icing. Mmmm... so good!
Along with this, I tried their apple strudel ($2.25). Personally, I would have liked it a little more authentic with thinner, flakier dough instead of more of a turnover/standard strudel dough, but it was still tasty with yummy apple and raisin filling, as it should be.

I know of one bakery I still need to try in Kelowna (possibly two just to play it safe) but I think dethroning Tripke is next to impossible!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment