Titus Bakery

Bakery: Titus Bakery 
Address: 15 Prince Edward St, Saint John NB 
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian
Price: $-$$ 

In my travels throughout Canada, I've discovered that there are cities you can consider bakery cities and others that are clearly not. In general, I've found to my relative surprise that the Maritimes fall into this latter category and it's easier to actually find a good bakery in a small town than in the larger cities. Saint John, I think, definitely fits this rule. Of course it didn't help coming in on Sunday evening and leaving Monday morning, but even with extensive bakery research -- which I now always do before even setting foot in a destination -- I couldn't find that many options, much less that many good options.
And so there was Titus, a teeny tiny bakery sandwiched between two bigger buildings; the effect is adorable. Yes, it was one of the options that was open. It also happened to be one of the more highly-rated bakeries in the city. Essentially, Titus is a homestyle bakery with bread and simple treats and baked goods. This is certainly not a bad thing, but this time, I had a hard time picking something out and in the end went for the cinnamon bun ($1-something).

This was fresh, soft and doughy with a drier cinnamon mass and a dollop of icing right in the middle. It was good to rip apart, but I would have liked it to have a little more flavour, more... punch. But I did end up with one bakery in Saint John and this is certainly worth celebrating! :)

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment