Bugaboo's Cafe & Bakery

Bakery: Bugaboo's Cafe & Bakery
Address: 148 Silver Lode Lane, Vernon BC
Website: http://bugabooscafe.com/
Style: European, Dutch, German
Price: $$$-$$$$ 

When looking for bakeries in and around Vernon to try, I stumbled upon Bugaboo's and figured it had to be a plotting mistake; after all, there was a bakery just smack dab in the middle of a mountain. Of course, when I zoomed in further, I realized that it wasn't exactly that remote and it happened to be in the Silver Star ski resort town about 10 minutes from Vernon. Oh well. It still has major cool factor -- snow and crisp mountain air notwithstanding. ;) And while I was doing my research I saw... were those oliebollen in the picture?!? O.O Would I finally get a chance to try them?

Naturally, I drove up the mountain to Silver Star and made a mad dash to Bugaboo's! As is often the case with bakeries causing me so much excitement beforehand, I arrived to a very empty bakery. None of the famous cinnamon buns and apple strudels mentioned. Certainly no sign of oliebollen or anything that could have been them. And unfortunately for me, I had one of those customers in front of me who just bought out everything. I kept hoping she wouldn't take the last piece of bread pudding, but instead she grabbed all the croissants instead. What a relief! Also, as may be expected for a lone bakery in a "ski resort", the prices came as a shock, though perhaps not a surprise.
As mentioned above, I spotted the berry bread pudding ($4.95) among the leftovers of the day. I love bread pudding so I definitely couldn't resist this one. It was nice and chunky just the way I like it with a nice, slightly chewy baked crust on top and mixed with a bit of berries. I would have liked more berries, to say the least. And the dough itself, which should have come from the buttery baked goods they do make, didn't have so much flavour, buttery flavour that is. Good texture, looks really promising, but needed more taste. That sums things up perfectly.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment