Copper Eagle Bakery

Bakery: Copper Eagle Bakery
Address: 325 S Copper, Greenwood BC 
Website: facebook
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

On my road trip from Toronto to Kelowna, I actually spent one night in Nelson. A bit of a detour, and a detour that would have looked great on my Cake Tour map if it hadn't been for the fact that we needed to arrive in Kelowna by noon and all the bakeries were still closed when leaving Nelson and were closed when we arrived the previous evening. Nooo! To somewhat make up for it, I did get some bakeries along the route from Nelson to Kelowna. Would have liked more, since Castlegar was also still closed, but I snagged some uncharted ones. And that includes Copper Eagle!

Copper Eagle is along the main street of historic Greenwood. I loved the atmosphere of this little town; it's like stepping into a mountain Western. It was the first place I've seen where I thought: this would be the perfect place for my little teahouse! Located right next to the saloon (yes), however, is Copper Eagle. Gorgeous building, friendly staff, and a selection of slightly homey, slightly artisan baked goods that looked delicious. Would I go for the pie? Or the cinnamon buns? All labelled and priced, with taxes included, and featuring a little bit for everyone (including some items for those with diet restrictions). I was even considering getting the Detroit (was it Detroit?) pizza... it looked so good!
Finally, though, I couldn't resist the puffed wheat square ($2.25). It was the first puffed wheat square I'd seen (not including Petro Canada convenience stores) in the longest, longest of times! Maybe puffed wheat squares are a Western thing? I don't know. I had, saw, and enjoyed them regularly when I was kid and never spotted them again after we moved. I don't know why they're not universally loved; I love puffed wheat squares and these looked so good!

Instead of a syrupy cocoa topping, this was made using real milk chocolate, and plenty of it, so that the puffed wheat is more coated and glazed in a rich, creamy mass. Oh yeah! What a great idea and it was so nice to have some puffed wheat squares again! :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment