Smith's Bakery

Bakery: Smith's Bakery
Address: 2525 Agricola St, Halifax NS
Website: http://www.smithsbakery.info/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$ 

I don't know how it happened, but three nights in Halifax somehow turned into just one bakery reviewed! D: I turned down a few I spotted along the way in favour of the ones on my list and somehow it just never worked out. As such, a return trip is needed for this to expand beyond this very pathetic single offering. Accepting donations now... cash, credit, paypal -- any currency. Anyone? ^^;

Anyways, Smith's Bakery is Halifax's oldest, dating from 1932. As may be expected, it predominantly features all the Canadian classics (well, except for doughnuts): squares, cookies, and pies, all in several varieties. There were a few pound cakes as well, but the big three were for me the most interesting. In all honesty, I'm not that big a fan of what I like to call the Canadian classics; I like pie, but very few make them well enough to be considered 'wow', and many squares come across as a tad boring, so I wasn't expecting too much. Actually, envisioning bakery greatness somewhere on the horizon, I didn't want to buy too much (which turned out to be the problem with the goodies from New Brunswick) so I played it safe and bought just one thing. Big mistake. :( Items are labelled and priced; at $2.75 per square, for example, don't expect super cheap, but it's reasonable.

With one item, it took some deliberating between a few of the fruity squares, but at last I settled for the raspberry walnut square ($2.75), seeing as it looked the most complex and was in for a great treat. Graham cracker crust, a layer of shredded coconut, thick, far from gloopy raspberry, and chunks of walnut drizzled with white and dark chocolate. Ha ha quite a mouthful! From the glass, you can't see the coconut, so it comes as a bit of a surprise and it's so wonderfully chewy (I like chewy ^^), really matching the raspberry and softness of walnuts. I have to say it was really tasty and most certainly I regret not getting more while here. Nonetheless, I guess I can see now how Smith's has stayed in business for so long -- sorry for doubting you! :P

Rating: *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment