Bakarameistarinn [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Bakarameistarinn
Address: Suðurver 18, Reykjavik
Website: http://www.bakarameistarinn.is/
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $-$$ 

If you're coming from the airport, chances are the first bakery you see upon entering the city is Bakarameistarinn. In this way, this place has been tempting me every time I arrived (and left) and, seeing as I was staying a few blocks away during my first stay in Reykjavik this time around, I vowed to finally get a chance to try something from these guys. Located more or less across the street from Kringlan (the shopping mall (like most bakeries in the capital region, they have three other branches in the suburbs), Bakarameistarinn is quite impressive in terms of its size and it's variety, which did not disappoint. And, really, how could it when they had poppy seed buns? ;D

Yes, in addition to a couple varieties of 'vinarbrauð', available in both small and large portions, the forever present sniður (giant cinnamon "snails") and generous selection of cake slices, these guys have poppy seed buns and you know what I think of Icelandic poppy seed buns. At first, having not yet spotted this must-pick, I was actually having a hard time deliberating between the danishes or a slice of apple cake. It was a tough choice; that is, until I saw my beloved poppy seed buns. *-*

So I couldn't resist: the poppy seed bun (265kr) it was. It was rolled up into a spiral, German style, and was pretty darn heavy. Nice and fresh, the poppy seed filling was quite generous, although I found it was mixed in with a little too much dough, especially towards the middle, but that's just being picky. Top that off with alternating chocolate and vanilla icing and some absolutely delicious crumble, sprinkled all over the place.

Mmmm.... had I known it'd be this good, I would have come a few years earlier! At the very least, it was worth the wait. :) Very good stuff.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment