Kristjáns Bakarí [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Kristjáns Bakarí
Address: Hafnarstræti 108, Akureyri
Website: n/a
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$ 

If you don't venture outside of Akureyri's "city centre", you might think that Kristján's is the city's only bakery. Luckily, there was another one for the sampling, and that luckily refers to not only there being two bakeries to make things more impressive and interesting, but that there is a better place for baked goods. That being said, Kristjáns was my least favourite destination on this year's World Tour. Although reasonably priced, it seems to focus more on their commercial baking (many local supermarkets -- I first spotted them in the supermarket near Lake Myvatn -- stock pre-packed cakes and buns from them) and is in fact more a full-fledged deli than bakery, with some grocery items as well as shelves of the same pre-packed goods you find in supermarkets. Behind the glass in the fresh section, I didn't find the selection all that impressive, especially considering that the place calls itself a konditori and was one of the few I went to that did so. It was either the danish slice or the cinnamon roll that day. However, the first thing that really put me off was the sign under the doughnuts behind the glass saying they were produced in the EU. O.o? I guess it's laudable that they were honest about it, but a bakery just heating up imported frozen goods -- these are practices I don't in any way approve of!

Nonetheless, I did go away with a slice of danish (270kr) -- only for you, my dear Cake Tour! :3 Overall, I can't say there was anything bad with it, and in this sense, I felt a little comforted. After all, I can never really resist danishes... However, the dough was a pretty bad example of 'Vienna bread', lacking the usual flaky crispiness on the outside and airy softness on the inside. This was more dense, a little too dry, and far too bready. Compared to previous samples, it wasn't even very aesthetically pleasing: the slivered almond(s), custard and rock sugar were barely there and the icing was smeared on. I was pretty disappointed.

Judging by the fact that you're automatically greeted in English, this seems to be more popular with tourists than with locals and I don't blame them. Perhaps the bread is alright, but when it comes to sweets, the extra trip (and a few more kronur) to Bakaríið við Brúna is worth it! 

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment