Heimabakarí [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Heimabakarí Konditori
Address: Garðarsbraut 15, Húsavík
Website: http://heimabakari.is/ 
Style: Icelandic
Price: $  

My tour of North Iceland continued with a stop in the small, quaint town of Húsavík, where it took me very little time to locate its one bakery: Heimabakarí. After all, when one is there with a purpose... ;D Sticking to my self-catered meals in Akureyri, I thought I could splurge a little bit, but it looks like I didn't have to! Not only was Heimabakarí a delicious addition to the Cake Tour, but it was likewise a wonderfully cheap one. It's actually been awhile since I've used my 'great value' and so it was about time to drag it back out; after all, this place does happen to have the cheapest vinarbrauð in what currently looks like the country! O.O 

Anyways, the bakery itself is quite small and didn't have the selection I've encountered elsewhere: a few varieties of danish-dough goodies, some cakes, and what seemed to be the most popular item there that morning: American-style doughnuts (Iceland, my dear, why? I mean, there's nothing bad about doughnuts. I like doughnuts myself and they do look a lot better than a lot of the ones that sell her, but still~ Icelandic baked goods are just so much better! I think I won't even choose to comment on the 'cronut' advertised on their website...) Everyone in line, either taking it away or eating there, were grabbing these. Maybe I should try one someday and see if they really do trump the ones here. 

I myself couldn't settle for a doughnut, however; especially not when I could get a lovely slice of danish for 220kr! It blew my mind. I even backtracked and found that, three years ago, the cheapest I ever found was a danish for 240kr, so this indeed wins the amazing price award! And unlike other places, where the log is simply stuffed with a little custard in the middle and sprinkled with some slivered almonds, this one not only had the custard (soft and not hard-baked), plenty of almond chunks, but filled in part with a tasty and unique apple caramel sauce. It was a little too full at times, but the dough had the perfect texture: soft and crunchy all at the same time -- a far cry from the slice I had in Akureyri the day before. :/ Perhaps I prefer the classic (sans apples) variety in the long run, but this was still a delicious, affordable treat... and probably just as satisfying as seeing a whale fin somewhere in the distance. :D

Rating: ***1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment