Aðalbakarí [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Aðalbakarí Siglufirði
Address: Aðalgötu 28, Siglufjörður
Website: n/a
Style: Icelandic
Price:

Siglufjörður is one of the northernmost towns in Iceland and while on a five-hour day trip (bus schedules...) in the small fishing village, I also discovered it probably has the country's northernmost bakery too! Oh, the excitement! ^.^ Sure, it still doesn't beat some of the locations I came across in Lapland in terms of latitude, but it's still a lot of fun to kick back and relax after an exhilarating hike at the local bakery. The building itself doesn't say what it's called; it took me a long time to actually find the address, but if you're there, you'll see it. 

Nonetheless, Aðalbakarí is a fantastic place; it was one of the highlights on this year's trip, not only because of the yummy baked goods, but because of the exceptional service. Nothing is labelled or priced, which was a little annoying, but the worker on hand (most likely the owner) was all too happy to help out. And what's more, I got a free sample! One whole "love ball" for the trying! :) As classic a baked good as these lovely fried ástar pungur claim to be, this was one of the very few bakeries I've seen that had them (one in Borgarnes and another Stykkisholmur are the only two places I've encountered them and I can't recall seeing them anywhere else on previous tours). These are deep-fried and stuffed with an odd raisin or two and the dough is mixed with a bit of cardamom. The ones here were perfectly spiced; the dough was wonderfully fried, crispy on the outside and a dense, cake doughnut on the inside (reminding of fellow Icelandic classics kleinur) with one end stuff with raisins. They were so good I had to buy another one for later on. :)

For eating there (an après-hike reward ^^), I also got a danish -- naturally, with pink icing. (I don't know individual prices, but paid 560kr for one danish, one 'love ball' (one was on the house) and a box of chocolate milk -- a pretty good deal, if you ask me) Mmm... definitely one of the best this year (though I'm sure it helped that I ate it on the spot) with perfectly flaky dough and yummy filling of custard and almonds.

Sure, you don't actually have a choice of bakeries, so coming here is in a way inevitable, but you won't be feeling like that afterwards. Excellent bakery... and that's excluding the fact that (feel free to remember this for the future) bribes... ahem, free samples *do* work on me. ;D

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment