LaHave Bakery

Bakery: LaHave Bakery
Address: 3 Edgewater St, Mahone Bay NS
Website: http://lahavebakery.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$

There's a second bakery in the town of Mahone Bay and it's actually located next door to the first one which makes comparing the two very easy for someone just passing through as I was. :) At any rate, LaHave is a wonderfully petite bakery whose first location is in well, LaHave, on the other side of Lunenburg, and which is tucked away in one corner of the building and fairly hard to miss. Inside, it's just as small, with only a single case of sweets featuring a few squares and cookies. On top, there were a couple of additional items, but I had the impression they seemed to be more of a lunch place, advertising sandwiches, bagels, and whatnot.

Nonetheless, being already pretty overwhelmed by the amount of baked goods I already had in the car, I thought I'd be a little modest and pick just one thing for the trying. As they seemed quite devoted to providing locally-sourced baked goods, breads, jams and the like, I thought I'd give the blueberry scone, with local blueberries, a try. And hey, I had already bought a scone from another bakery, so direct comparisons are always easier. ;)

Yes, so the blueberry scone it was ($2.75... or perhaps $2.50 -- something around there). Comparing the two at the same time, that being the ginger apricot scone from Kate's, I have to say this one was my least favourite. As a scone, it was alright. It was certainly bigger than your average scone and airier, fluffier if you will. I think it needed a little bit more fruit, since the soda-based (with a tad too much dusted on the bottom and along the sides) dough really overpowered the berries. Pretty good, but not great either -- that puts me into the position of being more than willing to try something else from them; however, I probably wouldn't get this particular item again.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment