Yiihotang [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Yiihotang (一禾堂麵包本舖)
Address: 34-1 Dunhua South Road, Section 1, Lane 233, Da’an District, Taipei
Website: facebook 
Style: Chinese 
Price: $$-$$$ 

Yiihotang is a busy bakery with, I believe, three locations in Taipei and a busy bakery is usually a good sign when it comes to their baking. Stepping in, I was initially surprised at the rather steep prices, especially given how petite the baked goods were. I then realized it was a vegan bakery and, I'll confess, I was a little more reluctant to pay that extra money. However, the bakery also makes its own tofu/soybean products and the baked goods did look good (though the "cheese" looked a bit questionable), so maybe they had mastered their specialty? Also, I spotted the central table has cheaper buns that wouldn't put such a dent in my wallet.
For a very reasonable $35, I grabbed one of their - albeit smaller than usual - pineapple buns. All preconceived notions went down the drain at the first bite: Yiihotang does in fact make one of the best pineapple buns I've ever had. A little different from the usual greasy variety, this had amazing texture: the crunchy crust was impeccable. Sometimes bakeries pack all the excitement in the crust and the dough underneath is dry and bland or tastes and looks like foam, but the inside on this bun was soft, moist and above all chewy; even without the crust, it was so tasty. A delicious treat for vegans and non-vegetarians alike.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment