Milkhouses [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Milkhouses (米哥烘焙坊)
Address: No. 158, Guangming Road, Beitou District, Taipei
Website: https://www.milksweet.com.tw/
Style: Chinese
Price: $$

I didn't realize right away that Milkhouses actually quite a big bakery chain (at least as Taiwanese bakery chains go); having to turn down a bakery further on because I'd already gone to this makes the realization even more frustrating. Nevertheless, Milkhouses is fairly major bakery found in Taipei and the surrounding area (there is, after all, a Milkhouses in Taoyuan airport) and their large, stocked-to-the-brim selection is in keeping with that. They've got it all, from birthday cakes to sandwiches, pineapple cake gift boxes to all kinds of sweet and savoury buns. I mean, I'm almost astounded at how overflowing with baked goods it was, especially when there didn't seem to be that many people flocking to it; it's not really a downtown location and the other bakery in Beitou district seemed to attract more interest - do they really sell all that by the end of the day?
Sometimes, however, incredible selection has the downfall of making it really hard to pick out one thing. That was my dilemma, at any rate. Should I go with a classic to see how it compares or go with one of their more unique treats? Seeing as they had quite a number of cream stuffed items and doughnuts, I thought I'd go with the peanut doughnut ($39) - they had the most varieties of this half loaf-shaped fried baked good I've seen and I was curious to try it. It consisted of two bun halves stuffed with milk cream; on the outside, it was yet again smeared in cream and then rolled in chopped peanuts. First bite wasn't bad. I liked the crunch and nutty flavour of the peanuts and the dough was soft and moist on the inside. Personally, there was too much cream on the inside and just the outside would have been enough for me, especially since the milk cream was more oily than anything else and didn't taste very good. Halfway in, I was really starting to feel sick of this thing.... Too big, too messy, too indulgent - and that wasn't a good thing.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment