Bagel Nash

Bakery: Bagel Nash
Address: 81 Gerry Fitzgerald Dr, North York, ON 
Website: http://www.bagelnash.ca/
Style: Jewish
Price: $$-$$$ 

I don't even know how many times I've driven past this place without taking a closer look. Admittedly, the main reason behind this is the appellation "eatery". In my books, an eatery is equal to a restaurant and I don't associate restaurants with baked goods; however, while they do have their eatery unsurprisingly serving sandwiches, soup and other hot dishes, Bagel Nash is indeed a bakery. Maybe not a big bakery, but what I'd call a typical "bagel bakery": without a doubt the star of the show are the bagels, but if you're lucky, you can chance upon a limited selection of classic sweet bagel accompaniments like rugullah, chocolate buffalo, croissants....
I was hoping for one thing in particular and they had it: the poppy seed bun ($4.50) was a big rolled baked good that appeared made from the same dough and in the same style as their chocolate buffalo. Examining it up close, I found the dough harder than expected, more cookie-like in texture. There was plenty of poppy seed from the outside, but once I got to the middle, there wasn't much left except along the bottom. More than that, it wasn't bad, but missing a certain inexplicable something that prevented it from being well, tasty.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment