Hirano Pan [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Hirano Pan (平野パン)
Address: 1 Chome-6-13 Hanazono, Otaru, Hokkaido
Website: n/a
Style: Japanese
Price: $

I have to start out by saying that Hirano Pan deserves definite bonus points for their window decorations - it has to be the cutest bakery exterior I've ever seen: smiling baguettes, melon pan and loaves of bread with the panda baker. Honestly, it's like I was behind it! Of course, the grand opening flags are one year old and they don't exactly have croissants and baguettes, but I'll let that slide...
So impressed with Hirano Pan's adorable extra touches, I went with two items instead of my usual one. The coffee bun (120 yen + tax) was the first. With coffee in the name, I was actually expected coffee in the bread as well, but I learned afterwards that it was used in the same way as "coffee cake", as in something to have with coffee and not necessarily coffee flavoured itself. A little disappointed to find that underneath all that drizzled icing, it was just a plain sweet bun, a little on the wet side in places, but the taste was good and it was different from the usual pan varieties.
I also grabbed the twist doughnut (100 yen). This was nicely fried with a golden brown outside rolled with some granulated sugar. Inside, it was moist and soft; maybe it was too soft for my dough stick standards, but a classic done right. With some free smiles thrown in! ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment