Vort Daglegt Brauð [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Vort Daglegt Brauð
Address: Strandgata 49, Hafnar

Style: Icelandic
Price: $$

This bakery was recommended to me two years ago and it was only now that I got the chance to try it. The name alone was worth the visit; for those unskilled in Icelandic, it means "our daily bread" and just so happens to be located across the street from the church. If that's not genius, I don't know what is.
Housed in an old building with authentic decor, this has a pioneer village vibe... and I love it. ^^ The website indicates this is somehow tied to a sort of chain of bakeries, which always annoys me, no matter if they're baking the same baked goods or not. Not sure what's going on?? Regardless of this, they have a nice selection of classic Icelandic pastries in addition to a few varieties of pretty and colourful doughnuts that looked good (what? I actually have yet to try an American doughnut in Iceland, and for heaven's sake I am not speaking of *shudders* Dunkin Donuts... ugh, let me go rinse my mouth now) -- all at reasonable prices. Personally, the doughnuts weren't the greatest value, as the traditional varieties cost less and I felt like it was worth paying a little more to get a pastry, but nonetheless their ástarpungar ("love balls"; 165kr) may not be the most photogenic of fried dough, but they were flavourful and filled with raisins.
The ömmu kanilsnúðar (Grandma's cinnamon rolls) I've only had at the Icelandic bakery in Toronto, so it was nice to try these traditional yeast-free, cookie-like cinnamon rolls elsewhere. Generous, spiced cinnamon filling, tasty dough. 
The fanciest of the bunch, the danish (325kr, I believe) was a flaky, custard-filled treat with both strawberry and chocolate icing and a pinch of slivered almonds. It wasn't the best I've had in Iceland, but one of my favourites, with flaky, flavourful dough that wasn't soggy (I've had that on more than one occasion) and with a nice amount of filling. Good stuff.

Well, perhaps my purchases weren't exactly what you think of in terms of our daily bread, but they were good nonetheless and this does make an (other) excellent addition to my humble blog. ^.^

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment