Boulangerie des Halles






Bakery: Boulangerie des Halles
Address: 125 Rue Saint Germain O, Rimouski QC
Website: n/a
Style: Canadian
Price: $$-$$$

Well, technically this place doesn't exist online, but inside the little shopping centre in downtown Rimouski -- housing likewise a fish market, butcher, cheese shop, cafe, and sweets shop -- there is a bakery. Actually, I was lured in by the sign in the window: patisserie. I believe this referred to the sweets shop on the corner, which also sells candy and chocolate. Not quite in the pastry and cake mood, I ventured further into the shopping complex and found a true bakery, complete with breads, and squares and pies... in fact, I can almost say I was surprised to find the selection quite British, complete with Queen Elizabeth squares (whatever those may be? O.o) and Chelsea buns. Few items were priced, of which the pies, which looked really good and homemade and cost a fairly reasonable $9.
Not wanting to buy a whole pie, I caved and went for the tray of cinnamon buns, which smelled amazing and looked pretty scrumptious, too. Mmmm.... I am a sucker for cinnamon buns. I found the cost a little steep, however: $8.75 -- just a few cents short of a pie and I'm not quite sure it was worth that much. Nonetheless, tasty, gooey cinnamon buns that you just want to tear apart and devour. :D Good amount of icing, fragrant cinnamon filling, a classic dough and a good overall cinnamon bun -- sadly, it didn't stay on top for long. The best cinnamon bun (there were two, mind you) of the trip came a few days later, but this nameless bakery with no address is certainly a great stop for the area (and was a good idea for stocking up on baked goods before embarking on the tour de Gaspésie). ^^

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment