Traditional Taste

Bakery: Traditional Taste Bakery & Cafe
Address: 211 Guelph St, Georgetown ON 
Website: http://www.traditionaltastebakery.ca/ 
Style: European, North American 
Price:

A recent drive to Georgetown resulted in some more baked goods for trying -- and an official Georgetown tag as well (I now have the minimum three ^^)! Traditional Taste was supposed to have been sampled the previous time, but the bakery was closed on the Saturday afternoon when I'd been there, so it took some time, but it's been done. Nonetheless, Traditional Taste is, despite the label of "European treats", more what I'd call contemporary Canadian baking: a blend of the most well-known pan-European pastries (cannoli, macarons, throw in a strudel or danish -- and it's most certainly the Portuguese custard tarts that give away the bakery's origins ;)) and your usual bakery classics such as cream cakes, tarts, and various squares.

Well, I got two items to try this time around (actually it was another of the brother's hiking trips and he picked this out himself): the first was a slice of apple strudel (he wasn't sure what the price was, but he paid $3.50 altogether), which looked quite promising. While not necessarily in the style I like best, this was a thin layer of soft dough, glazed on the top, and stuffed with large chunks of cinnamon-spiced apples. A common problem, the apples were as I'm not particularly fond of them: hard and cooked for too little time or simply the wrong type of apple (not all types of apples work in baked goods), giving the impression that the filling was made up of fresh apples and that just didn't match with the dough. This is one of my big no-nos, so I was pretty disappointed.

The second item was the classic butter tart, which was pretty good. Flaky tart shell with a firm pecan middle -- not bad. The only thing that was really going against it was that I'd just had Ruth's the previous week and, as I've come to notice, it's going to be very hard to beat that. :P

Overall, Traditional Taste is alright, with a good assortment of treats, but not my personal pick for the best bakery in Georgetown.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment