Delicia Bakery and Pastry

Bakery: Delicia Bakery and Pastry
Address: 2864 Lake Shore Blvd, Etobicoke ON 
Website: n/a
Style: Portuguese
Price: $$

Same area, same day: while I was in the neighbourhood on the hunt for Polish baked goods, Delicia was stumbled upon purely by chance. The name alone seemed to give off those Portuguese-bakery vibes, so in this sense, I wasn't too surprised to see two tables of self-serve custard tarts and coconut buns. However, in addition to all the usual treats, these guys also had a pretty atypical selection of baked goods I haven't seen elsewhere, such as two varieties of apple cake, pastries stuffed with chocolate, and a nice selection of deep-fried doughnuts, breads, and churros. Sounds good? Well, it certainly looked good; I was a little unsure of what to get, since quite a lot had piqued my interest. As with the vast majority of Portuguese bakeries, however, there are neither prices nor labels on anything, so it's another one of those intuition-based places.

Anyways, so I was waiting for the man in front of me to pick his baked goods. Actually, I was still undecided and saw him just make a run for the custard-stuffed doughnuts ($1.75); not only that, when he picked it up with the tongs, the dough made this crunch and all of a sudden, all I could picture was fresh doughnuts, still with that deep-fried crunch intact. *-* ((not to sound too shameless, that is...)) Thus, the custard-filled doughnut it was. There are actually two varieties: with the custard and with a sort of lemon jam. I claimed the last custard one. :) For one, this was one mammoth of a doughnut! I may be a sucker for doughnuts, but I don't think eating one of these can be that healthy. :P At any rate, I donated the other half for sampling, even if I somewhat regretted it after taking a bite. Delicious doughnut dough: denser and wonderfully moist on the inside, crunchy on the outside with a tasty lemon custard on the inside. Sometimes, the custard doesn't turn out that great, but this one was fantastic. No wonder you run for these! ;D

The second item was a sort of pastry ($2.85) made of puff pastry and filled with chocolate cream and that tangy lemon custard. This was something I'd never seen before, and so I was curious. Just like the doughnut above, this was really great-tasting, not to mention unique. Not too doughy, as these sorts of things tend to me sometimes, but with the right proportion of dough and custard.

Well, so I certainly wasn't expecting anything before finding this place, so this was a tasty surprise! What (another) find in Etobicoke! :)

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment