Boulangerie le Fournand

Bakery: Boulangerie le Fournand 
Address: 194 Rte 132 O, Percé QC
Website: http://www.boulangerielefournand.com/
Style: French
Price: $$

Well, just when I thought I wouldn't have any more additions to the Great Canadian Cake Tour, at least not this year, I chanced upon this bakery in the small, touristy town of Percé on my brief visit to Gaspé in September. Spending two nights here was purely accident (or chance) and just when I was heartbroken at the idea of having nothing to show for this trip of mine, along came Le Fournand. :)

This is the town's bakery (another was either closed down completely or already done for the season) and features most French bakery staples, like flaky tarts, buttery baked goods, and some cakes as well. Actually, given the fact that it didn't advertise itself as a patisserie, I was expecting a lunchtime spot and some bread more than anything else, so it was very nice to see a modest selection of, especially given the fact it's a monopoly, well-priced treats. Service was also very friendly.

Intrigued by the selection of "tarts" (they are essentially tarts, just cut into slices versus formed into shells... and I've forgotten the actual name -_-), topped with combinations such as pear and chocolate or apricot and almond, I decided to try one of these for my late lunch. :P And at $2.99, they were affordable too. I chose the apricot and almond which, yes, does resemble a slice of pizza -- pizza aside, I am insanely proud of this picture and think it has to be one of my best. Modestly speaking, of course. ;) The boardwalk and famous Rocher Percé in the background. Wow, that looks almost deliberate. LOL

Anyways: wonderfully flaky dough with a great texture with tasty slices of apricot, slivers of almond, and some almond mass underneath the fruit. I thought it got a little too mushy with all the paste and glaze, especially towards the middle where there wasn't enough dough to balance it out, but it was really good. Yes, it helps they're the only ones; however, no matter how many bakeries there are and aren't, Le Fournand is still a great place to eat in town and a highlight during my quick trip through Quebec. :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment