Rustic Sourdough Bakery [International Correspondent]


Bakery: Rustic Sourdough Bakery
Address: 1305 17 Ave SW, Calgary AB
Website: http://www.rusticsourdoughbakery.com/
Style: Swiss, German 
Price: $$

Rustic Sourdough, in the middle of the 17 Ave commercial strip, looks like a typically German bakery; however, I went here because on the list of bakeries I was given, this one was listed as having a Swiss pastry chef and that seemed a little more new and exciting. The store is split in half, with a deli (cold cuts, cheese, etc.) on one side and the bakery on the other side. I was impressed by their large selection of all the German bakery classics: strudels, black forest, poppy seed cake [editor's note: poppy seed cake!? Why was I not informed of this? More than that, why didn't I get any brought back for me!], breads, tortes, cookies, etc. Prices were normal, reasonable.

I had a very hard time choosing one thing when I could have had just about anything. I was getting pretty sick of poppy seeds [oh, the pain in my heart! ;-;] or fancier cakes, so I picked out the apple strudel ($2.95) because I always like strudels, especially the traditional German style, with thin dough wrapped around a lot of apple filling. There was just the right proportion of cooked apple "sauce", whole apple chunks, and raisins and perfect amount of spice. Dough was good and not soggy -- a very good bakery overall.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment