Heritage Bakery [International Correspondent]

Bakery: Heritage Bakery 
Address: 1912 37 St SW, Calgary AB
Website: http://www.heritagebakeryanddeli.ca
Style: Polish
Price: $$

[Well, I suppose that in every trip, there must be a little cloud in the Cake Tour, blocking out the glorious rays of delicious baked goods... okay, okay, let's not get too poetic there. :P Nevertheless, Heritage Bakery was the one bakery the brother was absolutely ordered to go to. Whether he wanted to or not. Ha ha ha! Growing up, this was one of my fave bakeries (and not only for the freebies I got :D). We were actually one of the very few Polish families who supported this bakery right from the beginning, at their first location in Ranchlands. Two moves later, they're still at the same place many years later, but apparently it's not the same place on the inside (I'm guessing/assuming the "kids" must be running it now). Rather, it's not really a bakery anymore. The photos, sign, and products available prove this all too clearly. This was pretty heartbreaking to hear. And so ends my Albertan Cake Tour (so far). :(

... What else was heartbreaking to hear? That this idiot forgot to take any pictures at all. No location photo (and Google was really being awful when I, for once, needed a great street view shot), no idea of the price, and *NO* product picture as well. What was this guy thinking!?! He was complaining that he ate the pie they bought for three days afterwards and in those three days he never thought of taking a photo! Grrrr... my head is going to explode. I had a huge stroke of luck, though: the website has both an outside photo and a pie photo, so there we go. Both photos are property of the deli website and all credit goes to them... please let me keep them up here?? :)]

Heritage Bakery is more a deli than anything else. I had the impression that it was the sort of place you go for lunch for hot Polish food. This food mostly consists of gołąbki (cabbage rolls), pierogi, etc. with very few baked goods. They had only one type of ciasto (cake), cookies, and pie. They don't even bake their own bread, which was pretty disappointing for a "bakery"  in my opinion. I took the pie, which was okay. There was too much filling (blueberry jam). The bottom (the actual pie shell) wasn't great and I thought the topping wasn't crispy enough. By the third day -- it took me three days to finish the pie, not to mention the baked goods bought at other bakeries -- I'd had enough. I was really hoping for a Polish jam-filled doughnut (pączki), which are probably my favourite Polish baked goods, on my trip, either in Edmonton or here at Heritage Bakery, but I came away disappointed.

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment