Stickling's Organics

Bakery: Stickling's Bakery and Bistro
Address: 191 Charlotte St, Peterborough ON
Website: http://www.sticklingsbakery.com/
Style: Organic, North American, German
Price: $$

This has been sitting here for awhile, so I thought I might as well cross this off the impending list and then continue with my newer additions. One reason for the slight delay was that the photo was found on the cellphone camera while I was looking for location shots. Imagine, I'd almost forgotten about this place!

Nevertheless, Stickling's came up as a bakery while I was compiling my list for places to try in Peterborough; however, taking a look at their website, I thought there was no point adding it as a location the brother needed to bring something back from. I say that, since it looked like these guys only made bread (this sold at various locations across Canada -- check their website) and that the 'bistro' in the name was just that: a place to sit down and have some lunch, for instance. Taking all of this into account, I was quite amazed that not only did the brother end up here voluntarily, but that there were some sweets after all! Nice! :) I'm always happy to expand my less numerous tags and to add some more organic baked goods onto the tour, especially as they're slightly more elusive. That being said, don't expect that much variety. This is, indeed, a bread-bakery that specializes in European-style sourdoughs, ryes, bagels, and other types of healthy bread. Sweets include simple classics that seem to be sold according to season: a couple of cookies, muffins (which are vegan), a few cakes/pies and that's about it (the website is currently advertising organic homemade Stollen and Lebkuchen -- man does that sound yummy!). This is, of course, available at their 'bistro' and not at those aforementioned country-wide locations.

So, the brother got the lemon coconut square-thing. :P Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a square, but somewhere in between a square, a sort of cobbler, and maybe a pie. Nonetheless, quite interesting in taste: a nice sourness from the lemon custard and with the added coconut flakes, it tasted very... Portuguese. Not sure if that was the intent, but nonetheless, a tasty treat -- and it was nice to have organic baked goods that well, tried to branch out a little beyond the standard muffins and cookies. It was greatly appreciated... by my tummy as well. ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment