The French Baker [International Correspondent]

Bakery: The French Baker
Address: 119 Murray St, Ottawa ON 
Website: http://bennysbistro.ca/bakery/
Style: French
Price: $$$

[A couple more (literally) stops from Ottawa means it's big enough for it's own Ottawa label! Great stuff. :P Sure, I would loved a few more, but what else could I expect?]

The French Baker is a French bakery, obviously, with two locations in Ottawa, one in Byward Market and the other is further afield on Bank St. I'm not sure which one is supposed to be the original location or bigger one, but I went to the one at Byward. As the name indicates, they serve classic French pastries (Opera, etc.), "flaky stuff" like croissants and other baked goods, tarts and macarons. I'd say it was expensive, in terms of the price point, but probably at the same level as most French bakeries.

I took three macarons (I forgot how much I paid, only that I was a little mad since I could have bought another pastry for the price, so I should have done that instead) -- I don't remember the flavours I picked out. They were soft on the inside, delicately crunchy outside and perfectly sweet. In a word: excellent.

I also picked out the apple tart. This had a crunchy shell with apples of the perfect consistency: firm, neither too hard nor too chewy/mushy. It had just the right sweetness with a good filling. This I also found excellent. I've tried a couple of French bakeries now in Ottawa and The French Baker has to be the best.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment