Belgian Patisserie [International Correspondent]








Bakery: Belgian Patisserie & Bread Shop
Address: 1333 1 St SE, Calgary AB
Website: http://manuellatruwe.com/
Style: Belgian, French
Price: $$$-$$$$ 

Belgian Patisserie (care of pastry chef Manuel Latruwe, which  from the packaging seems more the name for this elaborate pastry shop than the official one listed online) is one of a very few high-end patisseries in Calgary -- there was a French one in the neighbourhood, but I was already a little caked out at this point -- it was probably the blueberry pie I had to eat for three days from another bakery -- and didn't have the time to see how that one was. This one is pretty fancy and has what I would call all the pastry classics (Opera, etc.). As with most French patisseries, the pastries were individually served and elegantly decorated. It was also probably the most expensive bakery I've ever been to or seen -- cake slices are all around $8.

I took the Sacher torte (small, individual slice: $7.60). This was very good and was certainly a lot better than the only other Belgian patisserie I've tried; that was in Montreal [editor's note: that would be La Patisserie Belge ;)] and it doesn't seem so great anymore compared to this place. However, I'd also say that for the price and the overall look of the place, I was expecting "amazing" and I'm not sure that this would be considered amazing (must come back, knock your socks off good, etc.) Still: this was really good and Belgian Patisserie/Manuel Latruwe is one of the, if not the, best bakery I tried on my trip.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment