MacAulay's Bakery and Deli [RIP]


Bakery: MacAulay's Bakery and Deli
Address: 375 University Ave, Charlottetown PE
Website: http://www.macaulaysbakery.pe.ca/
Style: North American, Canadian
Price: $$ 

I came upon this by chance; it was on the street we parked the car, and it was a lucky thing I did, since it saved me the trouble from scouring the streets of Charlottetown for at least one bakery -- because I simply couldn't go to Charlottetown without finding a bakery for the Cake Tour! ;) And here it is. MacAulay's Bakery is tucked away in the corner of a more or less corporate office building and has a bit of both sweet and savoury -- such as that potato salad advertised in the window. The selection of sweets is quite large, but at the same time, if you simply want a single item for individual sampling, your choice becomes pretty limited as almost everything, from pies to cookies to squares, are made for the sharing and sold on pre-packed trays of six or eight identical items. All are priced and labelled, but at $6-7 for one tray, it's not the cheapest, most convenient option if you just want to try something new. There were a few squares (any sort of spice cookies also manage to excite me ^^) that seemed interesting, but I'm not sure I was that intrigued to buy a whole tray of them. Some variety would have been nice.

In addition to the numerous shelves of cookies and squares, they had a small rack of individual items near the counter, such as (if I remember correctly) turnovers or danishes, maybe a cookie. At any rate, the thing I picked out looked the most unique. It looked a bit like an Eccles cake or something like that; the red resembled the strawberry rhubarb pie, but it turned out this was cherry. Anyways, my selection turned out to be, for lack of a real name, a pocket pie. (around $1.50) You like pie, but hate the mess? Then this is for you! Flaky pie dough with a simple egg wash on one side and just the right amount of fruit filling inside so it was neither too dry nor too messy. It would have been better if the pie filling didn't taste so commercial and gloopy. You know how fond I am of that...

In the end, however, it was quite good; perhaps it was nothing special nor anything stellar, but it was the only bakery I ended up finding during my brief visit to Charlottetown and that, of course, gives it a special spot on the Cake Tour (and eventually on my Google map, which will look so, so incredible when I've plotted all my points!!!! *-*)

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment