Jubi [Mimi's World Tour] [RIP]






Bakery: Jubi
Address: Laugavegur 70, Reykjavík
Website: n/a
Style: Polish
Price: $$-$$$

[Note: Jubi is no more and has most likely been replaced by a tourist shop (didn't bother checking; you just know at this point) However, there is the newish Euro Market just down the street at one of the intersecting streets at Hlemmur that sells Polish baked goods -- reivew to come!!)]

Well, this is certainly an exciting find! Actually, this is one of the first "ethnic" bakeries on the World Tour; more than that, it was my first time trying Polonia (i.e. Polish people living abroad) baking outside of North America and the need to know if they made better pączki (the signature Polish doughnut) overcame any sort of unease I had at walking into this place. I just couldn't resist. :P

Passing this little semi-basement deli on Reykjavik's main shopping street is inevitable, especially if you're making use of the Bónus across the street, but more likely than not you'll walk past it without remarking its presence. I noticed it on my first visit to Iceland, although it was only this year that their window display of loaves of bread and a plate of cheese danishes and those delectable doughnuts arrested my attention. They now had baked goods! (Unless, that is, they simply rearranged their products) I could hardly believe it and just could not wait for the opportunity to poke my head in and come out with a pączek!! :) Disregarding the small plate of baked goods, the deli really is pretty pathetic and features a few shelves and one fridge of a few Polish imports. It's probably the least welcoming and most daunting store on the shopping strip and service is well, with a frown and annoyed sigh, but if you're craving Polish baking while in Iceland....
Selection is, however, very limited. In fact, there are only two baked goods: cheese danishes (299kr) and pączki (189kr). I was secretly hoping for some poppy seed buns tucked in somewhere, but no. Given it's pretty no frills and not a bakery, I found the prices a little steep, especially as you'll get more elaborate pastries for the same price at nearby bakeries.You serve yourself, though I didn't quite like how the only option was a plastic bag, since 10-15 minutes later the bag had already got stuck to the glaze and there went my beautiful photo. The doughnut, however... was a wonderful thing. *-* The problem I always have with pączki here in the GTA is that they're, 9 times out of 10, stale. The dough is hard and the glaze is crackled and flaking. Big no-no. There's something so good about biting into a soft, fresh doughnut and such was the case here! Moist dough, yummy strawberry filling (I was pleasantly surprised since I was expected the traditional plum, which I don't like), and delicious glaze with what seemed like a little extra kick. Mmmm... I wasn't really expecting to find great pączki in Iceland, but life is full of surprises. :P

I'd like to say I recommend this place -- based on baked goods alone I would -- but scant, not cheap selection and a somewhat daunting 'what are you doing in here?' feeling makes this a hard sell for the casual passerby, local and tourist alike and will probably only appeal to Poles (and kids of Poles) craving a taste of home.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment