Boulangerie Sibuet

Bakery: Boulangerie Sibuet 
Address: 306 Route de l'Eglise, St-Jean Port Joli QC
Website: n/a
Style: French Canadian 
Price: $$ 

The last day, rather last night, of my Maritime trip (and thus beginning of my Great Canadian Cake Tour ^^) was spent in the small town of St-Jean Port Joli, in Quebec. Not only did this prove to be a fantastic conclusion to the trip, but it offered me one more chance to try some baked goods.
 Naturally, I hadn't had enough already. ;) Driving in from the highway, this was one of the first businesses you encounter once in the town itself; well, if you choose to disregard the supermarket, restaurants.... Okay, it was the first business *I* noticed and you can guarantee I vowed to go first thing next morning to try it out. They also happened to be in the tourism booklet at our bed-and-breakfast room, advertising sandwiches, baked goods and what seemed to be their signature item: cream and maple sugar tarts. I have to say I was a little devastated to find they had neither.. or I certainly couldn't find them anywhere. I was really looking forward to it. :( Nevertheless, with the appellation of boulangerie, you can expect that the majority of items were breads (in addition to lunchtime meals) with only a few, artisan baked goods in the form of flaky viennoiseries and nothing in the way of more elaborate treats -- this, however, was not a problem for me. There were several empty spots in the display area, so I'm wondering whether everything was already sold or they didn't bake any that day? In addition to the two items I got, there had to be only one or two others. What I did take, though, was very tasty.
Both, essentially, were based on the same idea; perhaps they had different names and fillings, but they were more or less flaky, buttery turnovers generously stuffed with their respective fillings. ($2.75, if I remember correctly) One was pear and chocolate and the other was raspberry almond and both were wonderful. Delicious dough; flaky without going to pieces (which happens) and well, there's nothing like butter. *-* Top that off with fantastic stuffing; ground almond paste mixed with raspberry jam. Or how about the pear sauce (as in apple sauce) with chunks of dark chocolate? Pop it a little into the oven to get it warm and mmmm... you begin to understand why viennoiseries are such wonderful, wonderful things. Lol. A pleasant, fitting end to this leg of the Great Canadian Cake Tour. :)

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment